Saturday, February 7, 2009

Random is...


Are your days filled with random things like mine? If I were to put my days into writing form I would get a big F from my 8th Grade English teacher because no paragraphs would be organized, and certainly there would be no topic sentence. Then I questioned, "If minds can survive being random, could places?" And the answer is, "apparently so." We have been to that place. It's a little scary, a little surprising. It has a name: Kansas.

Last summer, when we moved "out east," we passed through Kansas. Though Kansas may be known as "the sunflower state" it could also be known as "the random state."
You are welcomed into the state by, what else?, a giant Van Gogh painting (replica) of "Sunflowers." It's 32' X 24'. Makes sense to some? Was a little random for me. But a kick in the pants nonetheless. Our kids couldn't figure out why we were getting out of the car for that. Later that day we visited an old fort, "Fort Hays" that is literally in the middle of nowhere. It was a nice little break, but hotter than he...ck and we were all pretty miserable. Again... random. The 18-wheeler up on poles telling you to exit and get an under carriage wash? I suppose that may look inviting to some but a little random, and a little uncomfortable, to me... again.

But we learned that randomness isn't a bad thing. We loved our drive through this great land and realized that at every freeway exit there is something that may be a little random. So if anything, Random is Variety. And, as Martha would say, it's a good thing. It makes the journey more worthwhile, that is for sure.

I can't imagine one day sticking with only one topic. How boring.
(No offense, middle school English teachers.)

1 comment:

Angela D said...

The sunflower picture is pretty interesting, but what I love even more is the giant easel. I wonder who dreamed that up? How fun that you guys stopped for pictures!